About Me

My photo
Living on the edge of the world is unique; the ocean is present at all times. Life is meant to be enjoyed since it is a gift from God; mine is active, fun, and interesting. I'm inspired by finding happiness in what I already have been given; it's up to you today to do the same.

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

HABITS

Habits.  Something we all have in common; some worth keeping, others not. So what exactly is a habit? Because I have a 1977 edition of the New Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, I thought this would be the perfect starting point: look it up.  There are nine entries for the word "habit" in this edition -  #1 refers to clothing, #2 refers to costume, and #3 has to do with the manner of conducting oneself (closer to what I thought but not quite!) Skipping down to entry #7 finally gave me the definition I had been searching for.
     Habit:  A behavior of pattern acquired by frequent repetition or physiologic exposure that shows itself in regularity or increased facility of performance.  Part b states: a mode of behavior that has  become involuntary (such as addiction).
     It was this morning when I looked the word "habit" up; now it is after 10pm, and I've thought about my own habits.  Today, for example, when I awoke, the first thing I did was walk to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee.  It is my habit to do so, and when I'm not on time (according to my brain), I'm not so happy.  If I'm out of coffee, on go my jeans and off to Safeway for "Peets" or the drive-up (desperate move!), and I don't think of this habit as negative!
     Later on, I sat observing my dog who is pictured above. Even he has habits, each day doing the same thing:  go outside, come in, eat, drink water, then lay by the fire, go on a walk, etc.  He is so predictable!  It is his habit, dependent upon me to make it happen.
     The month of January brings with it a desire for change known as resolutions which correlates with habits. The most common are to eat healthier, get more exercise, and to save more money. I read how after the second week of beginning a change, most people forget what it is they promised to do or not do.  So, why is it so difficult to resolve to do or not do something?  Not an easy-to-answer question.  Volumes have been written on this subject, podcasts are spoken, sermons taught, classes studied, support groups created, counselling, coaches, medications, weekend retreats, etc.  Some of this has value, but... still not simple. Making daily, slow, step by step conscious decisions is hard work; there is no way around it.  Sorry.
        I'd like to believe we don't give up on ourselves, that building new habits is possible, fun, and rewarding.  Find what works for you.  For me, perks work.  I set a reachable goal, then reward myself in some way; a celebration!  I do listen to others' success stories on podcast or YouTube, I am in two support/study groups, I study, write my intentions, and am kind to myself.  When I mess up it's no big deal; I begin again.  Listening to what I tell myself is important; the mind is powerful and easily fooled by what you tell it.  Think!  Pray!  Ask for help!  We all need a little help sometimes.  And, as usual, it's up to you!  
    
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment