About Me

My photo
Living on the edge of the world is unique; the ocean is present at all times. Life is meant to be enjoyed since it is a gift from God; mine is active, fun, and interesting. I'm inspired by finding happiness in what I already have been given; it's up to you today to do the same.

Monday, November 1, 2021

Does Every Cloud Have A Silver Lining?


     After taking this picture over the magnificent Oregon coast, I noticed the silver lining around the clouds, reminding me of the phrase "Every cloud has a silver lining."  "Does it?" I asked myself, leading me to examine the quote more closely.
     At first I thought the words were from a proverb in the Bible but it wasn't found there so as I went along, a writing by John Milton in 1634, and another by Mrs. S. Hall in 1840 were found.  (You can look these up if you want)  Both authors said the same thing in different ways:
     "...I did not err; there does a sable cloud turn forth her silver lining on the night..."   - Milton   (near-forgotten language!!)
     There's a silver lining to every cloud that sails about heaven if we could only see it."   - Hall   (more modern!!)
     What both authors express is how difficult times lead to better days.  But do they?  In contrast, there is a verse in the Bible which reads: "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."  - Romans 8:28
     "All things" must include difficult things too; God's purpose is always good; the verse does not say according to MY purpose.  Just because God is working on, in, and through struggles does not automatically mean "everything's coming up roses."  Sometimes the opposite happens.  And, the Bible verse is directed toward those who love God while the silver lining metaphor is for anyone.  
     When going through a struggle, seeing a silver lining anywhere near the cloud feels unlikely; impossible, even - often it looks only gray and dreary.  But God.  He is a God of possibilities.  He can and does work through the human experiences of suffering.
     Go back to the clouds and silver lining.  Some days are dark, and not facing the day can seem like a good option.  I had such a day like this back on February 13th, 2020.  I know this because I've kept a journal for 40 years, and sometimes going back to what I've written is funny, strange, or revealing.  I'm not sure what was going on but this is what I wrote:

        "Saturday now.  I feel depressed, sad, and alone.  6:30 am.  Pip is awake; I've been awake since 4am.  Headache.  Cold rain.  Can't sleep.  Decided to get up.  I have a life hangover.  Life.  Mine."

         (Does this sound dreary or what?  Not so obvious what is going on but I continue):

         "I'm watching a movie about other people.  Sometimes it makes me happy to watch a drama of others' problems.  This one is called "BEST MAN DOWN."  There are some people in the movie who are not very nice.  (In real life too.)  Some are depressed.  Others are in denial or pretend to be who they are not."
          "In this movie, a man dies - the best man - I like him and it is sad how he is suddenly gone.  He was fun and likeable.  Then there's a girl - the dead man's girl - and she is sad.  She can't seem to show it so hides it.  With her I can relate."
          "I'm trying to adjust myself to 'what is' today.  Adjust.  I keep on wanting something different and am unable to make it happen.  It is cyclic.  Life is cyclic.  No matter what is, or is not going on, God's favor is a part of my life.  (Favor is my word for the year.)  God is for me, and when others don't treat me like I want/need to be treated, I have to move beyond them, adjust my day, and find a new strategy."
                             IT'S A START.

          "I'm 63.  I might not have much time.  We never really know.  Because of that truth, I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once.  I can do something for 12 hours that would appall me if I believed I had to keep it up for a lifetime."  
          "I will also be as agreeable as I can, and I won't find fault with anything, nor try to improve anybody but myself.  That's the hardest part...  In my life...  When I feel depressed, sad, and alone.  It's not easy."
          "The day went on.  It improved.  It improved because I was honest with how I felt about life lately.  I know I envy others sometimes, and that means I am being my overly self-focused self who wants to be sad for awhile, and who doesn't stay that way for long since it isn't my true nature to stay sad.  I am a resolver."
           "James brought me a balloon!  I never get a balloon, and like any child, I loved getting one.  Today I will put it in our room."
           "Like I said, Saturday went on.  It was good.  I baked heart-shaped sugar cookies with butter frosting, sprinkled with magic red sand and dots.  So delicious!  I cooked dinner but don't remember what it was, made phone calls, thought about others' lives beyond myself, cleaned up, then watched the end of a movie about autism."

        That's the end of my journal for February 13th, 2020.  I noticed how I did not reveal the exact reason why I was having a down day but I hinted at the unkindness of others, and with my difficult self who is not content for long.  I gave myself a pep talk, and made conscious efforts to cheer myself up.  Getting a balloon made me feel loved, important.  The silver lining is how I chose to respond to my "depressed Saturday," something anyone can do.   
           
            

           

No comments:

Post a Comment